Three Things to Know About Oven Cleaners for a Sparkling Stove

Put your scrub brush away, Cinderella.

Regular cooking and baking can take a serious toll on your oven. Spills, splatters and other minor kitchen mishaps create layers of grease and grime in the cavity of your stove, which can leave your home smelling stinky and smoky. Over time, food residue can build up and become a home fire hazard. And although many ovens now feature self-cleaning options, they don’t always work as well as a good old-fashioned cleaning.

Oven cleaners offer an efficient and easy method to resolve the most baked-on messes. Simply spray the cavity with the cleaner of your choice and wait while it does the work for you. But before you do, here’s what you need to know!

Cuts Through Grease

Dissolves stuck food and stickiness in no time. Spray your oven, close the door, turn it on and wipe down with a damp cloth or sponge when it’s finished. Easy-Off


If you’ve ignored your oven’s cleanliness for too long, you might need a cleaner that hits hard. Look for a lye-based cleaner to dissolve the junk and be sure to wear gloves when cleaning.

No Lye

Natural citrus scent in lieu of aerosol irritants. Easy-Off


Traditional sprays use a cocktail of hard-to-pronounce compounds like monoethanolamine and diethylene glycol monobutyl ether, which break down the gunk effectively. However, the fumes from these heavy duty chemicals can irritate airways, especially if you’re in a poorly ventilated space. If that’s you, ;ook for a fume free oven cleaner. Be aware that fume free isn’t the same as scent free, so you may still need to ventilate or leave the area while the cleaner works its magic.

Eco Option

Uses safe, water based cleansing agents to dissolve gunk. GP66


If you’re looking to get your oven squeaky clean sans harsh chemicals, pick a cleaner that uses water instead of lye as the base. Water-based cleansers typically don’t require gloves or masks for application, and are less irritating to your airway. Best of all, water based cleaners are typically safe to use on any hard surface in the kitchen or bath.